How Do You Know?
March 17, 2013
- As we near the end of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus presses us to choose between two paths. Why is it our nature to prefer to “keep our options open” to us? Why does Jesus not allow us to escape choosing?
- What do you think are some of the most tempting but dangerous false teachings about Jesus and Christianity today? What’s your responsibility as a Christ-follower when you encounter such teachings?
- What did Jesus mean by fruit? What does it mean that “the fruit doesn’t make the tree good, the tree makes the fruit good” (John Piper)?
- Verses 21-23 are shocking to many. Who does Jesus say will enter the kingdom of heaven?
- Is Jesus looking for spectacular acts of service or consistent acts of obedience? Why? How can you be sure your daily walk with Christ is authentic?
- How would your life be “out of the ordinary” (5:47) if you lived the way Jesus sets forth in this passage?