Family Gathering Update, July 2017
August 01, 2017
Thanks to everyone who attended our July 30 Family Gathering. This was our largest Family Gathering ever with several hundred in attendance, including many families who were completely new to Station Hill.
A highlight of the evening was a special send off for our Media Director, Chris Meece, who is joining the Brentwood campus staff full time. In case you were unable to attend, below is a quick recap of many of the items discussed.
A Word from the Pastor
Jay shared a rolling update related to growth plans, specifically four main prayer points to remember as we seek God's direction for our campuses future efforts to reach our community.
- Pray for our church leaders as they continue to make important decisions regarding the next steps for our campus and our church as a whole.
- Pray for the Master Planning and Property Use team as they do necessary due diligence work that will enable us to proceed with the next steps in our Master Plan if/when our church decides to move forward.
- Pray for our church as we continue to seek the Lord’s guidance in determining the best ways to reach more people in our community, our region, and to the ends of the Earth.
- Pray that we will be a body of believers who truly “Live Sent,” looking for opportunities to make disciples wherever the Lord leads us.
He also interviewed Brentwood Baptist Executive Pastor, Brian Dodridge, regarding our upcoming Leadership Nomination process (more on that this Sunday). Brian shared about the view from the office of an Executive Pastor, including recent "wins," as well as ways to support church leadership moving forward.
Lastly, Jay introduced Reid Hughes, who shared about the priority of prayer and invited the congregation to pray in our conference room during any of our Sunday AM worship services.
Next Generation Updates
Preschool, Amy Keys and Kristen Patton
- Kindergarteners will be joining us in worship this Sunday and will be receiving awesome worship bags.
- Four new Preschool classrooms will be open as well.
- Sunday morning LIFE Groups aren’t the only discipleship opportunity for our preschoolers. We stay busy throughout the week! Preschool parents—I hope you find some discipleship opportunities for yourself, and when you do, you can bring your preschooler to class as well, feeling confident that they are also learning about the God who made them and loves them more than they can imagine!
- On Sunday evenings, we revisit our Sunday morning curriculum—The Gospel Project. We revisit the stories, the prayer time, and even the review questions, and we add new activities that continue to help your preschooler grasp the Biblical truth from that day’s lesson. Preschoolers learn through repetition, so we want to make sure your preschooler gets lots of that!
- On Wednesdays, we provide preschool programming during the Wednesday morning Bible studies as well as during our Wednesday night BIG Wednesday programming. This year, we will be working through a study called “Going Vertical.” This study will help preschoolers begin to understand the makeup and message of the Bible. It’s packed with active games, fun crafts, and an emphasis on missions. It’s going to be great!
- Preschool parents: this fall, our preschool ministry will be partnering with SHMDO on a mission project, so be watching your email in October-November for more information on that.
- Leaders are still needed in all three services. Specific needs include:
- Baby teachers (2)
- Young Toddler Teachers (2)
- Older Toddler Teachers (2)
- Three Year Old Teachers (2)
- PreK Teachers (2)
- Kindergarten Teachers (2)
- Baby Teachers (2)
- Young Toddler Teachers (2)
- Older Toddler Teachers (2)
- We are so blessed to partner with you to point these precious preschoolers to Jesus.
Children, Taylor Johnson
9:30 Service Needs : 2 Teachers for 1st Grade, 3 Substitute Teachers, 2 Greeters/Welcome Desk Attendants
11:00 Service Needs: 2 Substitute Teachers, 2 Greeters/Welcome Desk Attendants
4 Adults weekly to help lead our Sunday evening discipleship program that supports LIFEGroups.
1 Teacher for 2nd Grade, 1 Teacher for 4th Grade.
Students, Chris Blanton
- Summer focus of “knowing Him, and making Him known.”
- Beach Camp, growing faith in following Christ while building teamwork and community
- Mission 931, serving within a mile of the church building
- Chicago, serving in various forms throughout inner-city Chicago
Looking to fall semester…
- We are excited to press into the Gospels
- We are praying for a few more leaders on Sunday AM and Wednesday LIFE Groups
- Wednesday nights start back August 16
Worship, Cliff Duren
- Summer Highlights – Over 60 members of the Station Hill Worship Choir & Band led worship for Lifeway’s Worship Life Conference in Gatlinburg, TN.
- Worship Choir Kick Off! - August 16 in the worship center from 6:30 pm – 8 pm. This is a GREAT time to get involved in the worship choir!
- Night of Worship & Baptism Service – August 27 – Plan to attend this great night of worship as the Station Hill Worship Choir & Band releases their brand new recording, “For the Sake of the World.”
Discipleship, Brian Coates
- LIFE Groups and Focus Studies resume August 6th.
- There are over 50 different groups available on Sunday and through the week, for all ages and stages of life.
- Group Connect continues in the Atrium for the next couple of weeks to help you find a group that's right for you.
- The calendar for the rest of the year is attached here. You can also get all the latest event information by going to our website and clicking on the "Calendar" button.
Guest Services, Brandon Abbott
- Every member is a part of Guest Services.
- This Sunday alone, we had 10-15 new families join us as guests.
- Many of us never got to meet these new families.
- Tangible steps to allow us to meet these new people and to know what to do when we do meet them:
- Change our routine (consider switching to a new service time or coming early/staying late.
- Sit in different places. Meet the new faces around you.
- Be a row captain. Take ownership of your regular area, and meet anyone new.
- Get over the embarrassment of meeting new people. Just say, "Are you new or have I just not met you yet?"
- Give next steps. Know when our next monthly Welcome Reception is (Aug 6th this month). Even offer to go with them so they'll have someone they know to sit with.
(Photo credits: Mike Hayes and Jeremy Teran)