Family Gathering Update, November 16, 2017
November 22, 2016
We had a great time at our latest Family Gathering. The chili was in abundance, the cake was fantastic, and the cardboard cutout of Jay was well documented on social media (#jaystrother15). Our Nepal team arrived home and showed up in the middle of the festivities. They didn't stay long, but long enough to present Jay with a couple of authentic Nepali items, including a frighteningly large knife. (As the person who may or may not have ordered the cardboard cutout, this was alarming.)
In case you missed our Family Gathering, we wanted to pass along some of the information from that time.
Report from Jay
In our lobby is a reproduction of the Van Gogh painting art historians have nicknamed "The church with no doors." As we pause to give thanks to God for the incredible work He is doing through The Church at Station Hill, we remember that our mission is to connect people to Him. This takes many, wide-open doors. For that reason, we continue to create additional seats, additional venues, and look for additional new works that all serve to expand our ability to accomplish that mission.
New 8AM Worship Service
As we work to try and balance the attendance across our 9:30 and 11:00 AM hours, we are also launching a new worship opportunity. Beginning January 8th, we will begin offering a third worship service at 8 AM. This worship service will be identical to our existing services at 9:30 and 11:00 AM. But in addition to a worship service, we are also making available programming for all ages during this hour. This means we need leaders from across our church to step up and serve at this new time, including teachers for adult LIFE Groups, as well as workers for preschool, children, students, and even children with special needs. Details and specific needs are in Jay's PowerPoint (pdf) in the download section of this page.
In addition to a new service, we continue to look toward plans for additional LIFE Groups and other disciple-making efforts as well as dream and plan for future campuses and/or church plants coming out of The Church at Station Hill. In everything we do, we want to have a Mark 2:1-12 attitude about creating doors where there are none, even if it's through the roof.
Missions Report from Leigh Ann Swords
Operation Christmas Child Update
Thanks to everyone for your amazing generosity and effort in collecting Operation Christmas Child Boxes. As a church, you contributed 387 boxes. But as a community collection center, Station Hill volunteers packed over 3,300 boxes! A huge thank for Terry and Edie Miller and their incredible team of volunteers for making this Christmas very special for so many.
Our next big project is Christmas Food Baskets:
We will pack here on the morning of December 10th. All ages are welcome. You can just show up and pack a box or two.
- I need volunteers to work in several areas, from helping set up on Friday to calling folks to remind them to pick up their baskets on Saturday morning, manning the tables, getting the boxes to the Well and distributing them there that afternoon.
- All of this information is on the website, as well as a link to sign up to volunteer.
- We also need folks to sponsor food baskets to help supplement the cost of these. Each basket costs $50, but we will gladly accept donations of any amount. You can pay for these online or by putting a check in the offering with a note of “Christmas Food Baskets”
A couple of things on the radar for this Spring:
- Engage Middle TN Day will be on April 8th. Go ahead and mark your calendars and start sending me your project ideas as soon as you know what you would like to do.
- CAFO will be May 4-5 at the Brentwood Campus. This is a huge orphan conference that brings in people from all over the world. We have an opportunity to host ten global leaders for the days leading up to the conference. Host families would provide a place to sleep at night, a few meals and transportation back and forth to BBC. Learn more here.
Christmas Concert and Calendar Review from Brandon
- Details about all our Christmas activities, including Concert, Christmas Eve services, Christmas Day services, and more are all here.
- Details about all Christmas activities across all of our campuses as well as our Christmas television special can be found at ChristmasTN.com.
- You can grab the full calendar of events here.
Updates and Jay Strother Recognition from Michael Volbeda
- We heard updates from Brentwood Baptist Associate Executive Pastor, Michael Volbeda, regarding plans for a new campus in Nolensville. A church vote concerning the purchase of land for that campus is forthcoming on December 11th and 18th.
- The 2017 Church Budget will be made available on Sunday, December 4th.
- There will be a special town hall meeting regarding the budget, also on Sunday, December 4th, at the Station Hill Campus (Student Worship Room, 12:30 PM).
- Lastly, we were pleased to honor our pastor, Jay Strother, for fifteen faithful years of service to Brentwood Baptist and The Church at Station Hill. (Sorry that we can't upload a piece of cake, but it was AWESOME!) The time included a special moment of prayer for Jay led by former trustee, Jeff Swords.
If you have questions regarding any of these items, let us know. Until then, we'll see you on May 28th for the next Family Gathering.